Monday, March 18, 2013

Personal Analytics for Facebook

Recently I became curious as to what information I could gather from my personal facebook account.  In going about it I stumbled upon a really cool application from Wolfram Alpha that generates a great free analytics report specifically for facebook.  This app is unique in that it's free, has some great visual tools, and is also very quick and easy.  By simply allowing the app to access your facebook account, you instantly have a full report about yourself, your friends, and how you and your friends interact with each other.   The app can be found here http://www.wolframalpha.com/facebook/ and I've decided to highlight some of the cooler features below.

Histogram Distributions:


Friend's Locations:



Color-coded friend network:


1 comment:

  1. Wow, great find on the wolfram app. I do not have a facebook, but I convinced a friend to let me run the report using his profile and I was amazed at the statistical reports on anything from the town population of your city, to your friends list gender and age statistics. This information could be very useful to business profiles that now rely on social media outlets. Think of the ways a company could use the age, sex, location, and other statistics provided to really concentrate on their customer base. I do not have access to a facebook business page, but if the statistics are representative of the consumer base, you could also use the other features of wolfram's friend report such as the friend-clusters, or "social insiders" to find potential interests in product sponsorships or endorsements. As I said, I do not have a facebook profile, but I would highly recommend anyone with a facebook to run this report and take a glance at the results. It is a very interesting app that I see being far more useful in the business networking and advertising phenomenon that facebook and other social media outlets have introduced. Great job David, I really learned a lot from your post!

    ReplyDelete