Monday, February 25, 2013

With the visualization project due this week, I was wondering if anyone had any insight as to how to use a motion graph for maps. My team tracked obesity rates for each states, as well as state populations, from 2005 to 2011. After researching and collecting data, it's obvious that, for the most part, obesity rates or percentage of population obese, are reflective of what region of the country the state is in. We then decided to create two motion graphs, one tracking each state and one tracking regions. We developed obesity rates by regions based on the average obesity rates within the region. However, I feel that if we were to use a density map of the United States, the information would not have to be averaged, thus being more indicative of how obesity is trending in the United Sates. Below are the two motion graphs previously created.



I have looked online extensively for help on the subject and have found gapminder, but you cannot upload your own data to gap minder. If anyone has any help as to how we could not only use the motion graphs, but program, or implement software, for a density map (I have something similar to what we're looking to create below) it would be greatly appreciated. - Jessica Clemmensen

2 comments:

  1. Jessica, you could try Tableau (http://www.tableausoftware.com/products/trial). I haven't officially created a map chart, but I was playing around with it and it offers a map similar to the one above. You might need zip codes or cities in your data set. I hope this helps!

    Jason Buckner

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me and Shahab are doing something similar with our data, but I am using 3D software (in my case 3DS Max) to create the bubbles and animate them. The software is not designed for drawing charts, but you can program it to get the data from an excel sheet and draw/move them based on the input data.

    ReplyDelete